Warlock Glyph’s… so which ones should I take?
As you may or may not know, coming in WotLK will be a new mechanic called glyphs. Glyphs are like enchants, but they modify how a spell either behaves or looks. For the moment, all players are allowed to equip 6 glyphs, 3 minor and 3 major. At this stage in the Beta process, a lot of the glyphs have been revealed, but not all. Perusing Wowhead shows a great number of major glyphs, but no minor ones. What i’m going to focus on in this article is which glyphs warlock’s should be equiping based on what we know currently in the beta.
First, i’ll provide a small caveat, since we don’t know all of the glyphs available to the class, i’m going to go by what we know via the wotlkwiki site and how they classify major and minor glyphs. Whats a major glyph and whats a minor glyph isn’t totally clear yet, but we’ll go with these definitions for major and minor glyphs taken from the wotlkwiki site:
Major Glyphs provide major upgrades to spells. Examples that have been given are the addition of stuns or DoTs to spells, increased damage, or knockbacks.
Minor Glyphs provide small upgrades, or cosmetic improvements. Examples that have been given are the removal of reagent requirements from spells, lowering spell costs, or changing spell graphics.
From these definitions we can take a pretty good guess at which glyphs will be minor and which will be major. Unfortunately, not many minor glyphs have been identified, so i’ll skip those for now. Since they’ll be mostly cosmetic in nature, which ones you pick will be up to personal preference.
1. Glyph of Curse of Agony - an extra tick or two of CoA is always good for some extra damage.
2. Glyph of Siphon Life - increasing this by 20% is a nice boost.
3. Glyph of Shadow Bolt - Reducing the mana cost of a spell we’ll be spamming considerably, is a good thing.
I’m going to look at Demonology from the PvP point of view, since this spec is most commonly used for PvP. In the future that very well may change - so please not too much hate mail please :lol:
1. Glyph of Fear - This isn’t all that spectacular, but with as much as we fear in the BG’s and arenas, its something worthwhile. An extra 20% before breaking the ability is a decent amount.
2. Glyph of Howl of Terror - Reducing the cooldown on this spell is great for PvP, gives you a HoT every 32 seconds.
3. Glyph of Death Coil - Gives you another half second to get off that fear.
1. Glyph of Shadow Bolt - Like all locks, we spam this till we run out of mana.
2. Glyph of Corruption - If you’re destro spec’d then you won’t have talent points in Nightfall which gives you this ability. Free Shadow bolts for all!!
3. Glyph of Searing pain - You could go with a couple options here for this choice. I’d go with extra damage for searing pain, very useful when you want to do a lot of damage quickly.
So there you have it. While talent builds will likely change our spell mechanics, these glyphs will likely be the choice for each of these specs due to their nature. One glyph that looks very promising that I left out, Glyph of Souls, would be a staple for raiding locks as it allows you to pop down a soul well with no shard cost. According to the beta this is a minor glyph, so whether you’re Affliction, Destro or Demo you’ll be able to benefit from this one.
As always, let us all know which glyphs you plan to take once WotLK hits in the comments.