Hey Shatner, how do I hurl bolts of lightning?
RSS Feed

Patch 3.0.8 Warlock Changes

Patch 3.0.8

I highly recommend reading the full test realm patch notes since there’s a few cool non-warlock changes (no more racial mount restrictions, a few dozen new graveyards in Kalimdor and Eastern Kingdoms, etc.).

If you’re only looking for warlock changes, you can find them below:

Affliction

• Drain Mana now Transfers 3% of target’s maximum mana every 1 sec from the target to the caster (up to a maximum of 6% of the caster’s maximum mana every 1 sec). Lasts 5 sec.

Now I can’t whine anymore about Drain Mana being the worst drain spell in game. Mana Burn and Viper Sting received similar changes (percentage of mana instead of a fixed value).

Demonology

• Ritual of Summoning Will now create a summoning portal object which can be re-used for multiple summons for 5 minutes.
  • Demonic Knowledge now Increases your spell damage by an amount equal to 3/6/9% of the total of your active demon’s Stamina plus Intellect. (Down from 4/8/12%)
  • Demonic Tactics now Increases melee and spell critical strike chance for you and your summoned demon by 1/2/3/4/5%. (Down from 2/4/6/8/10%)
  • Demonic Empathy now affects all spells for 15 seconds. (Old - 3 next spells)

As announced in one of our previous posts, this Ritual of Summoning change will not go unnoticed, but there’s still a lot of work to be done with the whole Soul Shard mechanic.

edit: Demonic Knowledge and Demonic Tactics changes are supposedly not going live so don’t panic yet (check the comments below). Demonic Empathy change looks positive to me, but I’ll let someone else do the exact math.

Destruction

• Backdraft now also reduces the global cooldown of your next three Destruction spells by 10/20/30%.
  • Chaos Bolt damage has been increased (from 1036-1314 to 1243-1577 for Rank 4).

Clearly two positive buffs for the Destruction tree.

There’s another change in the patch notes related to tagging mobs which again we announced in this post:

• Tapping: all player spells which cause a creature to become aggressive to you will now also immediately cause the creature to be tapped.

I can’t think of any class which will welcome this change as much as warlocks will.

Overall, there’s more buffs than nerfs which is certainly a good thing, but I was expecting more. Perhaps I’m wrong and we’ll start performing much better than I think, especially in PvP.

Horns
This post was written by Horns, who contributed 151 posts on Yet Another Warlock Nerf.
You can read a short bio and find all posts by Horns by clicking his name.

13 responses to “Patch 3.0.8 Warlock Changes”

1. Baalzy says:

The demonology nerfs are absurd. As deep dem, I’m struggling enough with my dps without having chunks blown out of it for no real reason. Maybe I’m supposed to dps with angry emotes and sinister laughter.

2. King Ty says:

“There are some patch notes that reference nerfs to Demonic Tactics and Demonic Knowledge.

We are NOT making those changes. -Ghostcrawler “

3. Baalzy says:

I just had that thread pointed out to me, after making a fuss about this.

You can find the source thread here;

My faith in the GC has been greatly restored. If Tactics had gotten buffed just to be nerfed right back I would have been unimpressed with the design process that got it buffed to 10% in the first place.

4. paulski says:

I dont quite understand how you can call mob tagging a buff. How much difference does that make? It negatively affected me about 4 times while I was leveling. Big deal..

Meanwhile our class is left to rot, with no survivability in PvP.

More buffs than nerfs.. Its a freaking joke.. oooh.. we should be so happy they didnt nerf us..

Pathetic!

5. Mace says:

Ghostcrawler specifically said these are not the changes that they are planning to “fix” locks with. He also said that these upcoming changes may or may not go live before season 5. It’s looking like not, though, considering the fact that the season starts next week.

6. WLambros - AD EU says:

You actually wait for improvements? They considered nerfing us again!! Isn’t it obvious they want warlocks out?
    As far as concerning demo locks crying they cant DPS then I have to say you are wrong. I am demo and I am just after heavy melee in damage meters. Fact: Shadow Bolt takes much longer than any other heavy spell such as incinerate or searing pain. Fact: the void walker is a complete joke. They might have tried to resurect it but honestly it is not as powerful as fel puppy fel guard and my favorite doomguard.

7. Rild says:

Backdraft now reduces the GCD on destro spells… isn’t Chaos Bolt and Shadowburn the only Destro spells that have a longer CD than it’s cast time? So other than those where would we see this? (Sorry affliction for leveling so my memory of GCD vs Cast Time is off for the destro tree).

8. RaGb says:

Look im a lock since 3 years, this will sound absurd to you, but I think that Demonic tactics should be nerfed, Coz the only thing that felguard/emberstorm does, its get the lock to the old rutine of spamming one freaking spell, so you do inmolate, corruption and spam incinarate like crazy, wich is stupid, and BANG, back to the routine, and thats still the best DPS spec for low lvl gear locks, Ive been working on different specs, that actually requires some skill, and makes locks fun to play while raiding, and i found one that actually works, I make 2k+ DPS, with a crappy gear, just 4 epics, rest are 80 blues, requires a LOT of skill, and paying attention, but it pays off, only one real recomendation I can make here, at least make a glyph that removes the reagent for soulfire and shadowburn, that way we can actually try to DPS thing down without the worry of getting out of soulshards and get trashed by stupid raids members that arent capable of making theyr way to the instance and want a summon.

Tried reading it in one breath, didn’t work :(

You forgot to mention what spec requires skill and makes raiding fun, but I’m pretty sure it ain’t affliction.

10. Asskicker says:

well, affliction its really hard to play, coz you need to have a really tight rotation, but try this (it does require a bit of crtical rating to work). This its all ive tried with my crappy gear, you may get better results, its a spec ive put up about 2 wwwks ago, and with my trinket proc, and molten core i do 15k soulfire crits( yeah SOULFIRE), all of you locks forgot about soulfire cos its a 4 sec cast, but guess what, with backdraft it gets down to a 2,6 sec cast(that sound nice doesnt it?), its the most powerful spell on the game, so make the normal destro rotation, and after backdraft take out 3 soulfires,and so on, soulfire gives a lot of burst dmg to the normal destro spec, check it out, if you wanna xchange ideas or any suggestion or question, send me a e-mail,cheers! all_direccions@hotmail.com (yes with cc not ct)heres the talent tree im using right now: http://www.wowhead.com/?talent.....VrzuVRAcox

11. Asskicker says:

oh somethbing i forgot, the hardest thing about this spec its paying attention, coz sometimes its necessary to cut of the rotation, when you get both trinket and moltencore procs, in that secs you make conflagrate, and 3 soulfires, 15% of increased dmg on a soulfire its a lot, the only bad thing about this, is that you need about 60 shards for a raid, you wont use soufire on trash right?, coz if you want to, ill recommend at least 100 ss lol :P

12. Sakrelycs says:

Seriously meta is crap, destruction is crap, and affliction is crap only way i do well as a pvp lock who raids alot also… since patch 3.0.8 me and my mate who’s also a lock went sl/felguard/ and 5/5 bane with the new glyph that increases felguards ap by 20% not 10% and siphon life is 1 of the best survival and dps spells for us locks i get 2k dps easy and i actually have fun pvping. I got 1700 2v2 last night easy with this spec. I’ve tried them all believe me.

13. Sakrelycs says:

I also get the same dps in raids as i did as meta and destro.. so go figure.